Find Free NJ Legal Information

Welcome to the LSNJLAWSM website, provided by Legal Services of New Jersey (LSNJ). LSNJ is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit offering free civil legal assistance to low-income people in New Jersey. Find legal information by clicking on a legal topic or typing a few words into the search box.

LAW Home > Legal Topics > Taxes > Other Federal Tax Questions

W-2 Information


Employers are supposed to mail Form W-2 to employees no later than January 31. If a taxpayer does not receive Form W-2 by the middle of February, here are the steps to take:

  1. Contact the employer. The Form W-2 may have been sent to the wrong address, or the employer may have sent it out a bit late.

  2. If the employer will not issue or resend the Form W-2, or if the employee cannot get in touch with the employer, the employee should contact the IRS for assistance at 1-800-829-1040 and provide the following information:

    • The employer’s name, complete address, telephone number and, if known, the employer’s identification number;

    • Your name, address, and Social Security number or ITIN; and

    • An estimate of wages earned, federal income tax withheld, and dates worked.

    The IRS will contact the employer. The employer may be subject to fines. 

  3. The taxpayer is still responsible for filing a return on time. To do so, the taxpayer can use a Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, which will be sent by the IRS based on the information provided by the taxpayer. Using that form, however, may delay a refund. The taxpayer can also use the information on the last pay stub received in the prior year.

  4. If the taxpayer ultimately receives a Form W-2 after filing a return and the amounts are different than those used on the return, the taxpayer must file an amended return, Form 1040x. ​