Find Free NJ Legal Information

Welcome to the LSNJLAWSM website, provided by Legal Services of New Jersey (LSNJ). LSNJ is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit offering free civil legal assistance to low-income people in New Jersey. Find legal information by clicking on a legal topic or typing a few words into the search box.

LAW Home > Legal Topics > Immigration > Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals/DACA

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals—Tips for Filing


  • Your application should be as neat and organized as possible. You should consider including a cover letter and evidence chart with your application. Here is a sample cover letter and here is a sample supporting documentation chart. Remember that these are only samples, and if you use them, you should make all necessary changes to accurately represent the facts and documents in your case.

  • Do not send your application using regular mail—use certified mail at the very least.

  • Keep a copy of your application for your records.

  • Aside from signed letters or affidavits, do not send original documents like your birth certificate, high school diploma, or passport to USCIS.

  • Remember to write your name (and Alien, or “A” number, if you have one) on the back of your two passport-sized photos, in ballpoint pen. You can enclose the photos in a small envelope or clear Ziploc bag and staple them to a page in your application.

  • If you ever had immigration status in the past, remember to send proof that the status expired before June 15, 2012.

  • If you entered the U.S. with a visa, include a copy of your I-94 and visa page.

  • If possible, you should include a complete copy of all passports you have had since entering the United States.
  • You can send one check or money order for the combined filing fee of $465 made out to U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

  • If you think you may qualify for a fee exemption (granted in very limited circumstances), click here for more information about the fee exemption request process

  • Know your rights if you decide to hire an attorney and beware of notario fraud.

  • If you came to the United States without a visa or other official permission, you can put “Entered without Inspection” or “EWI” as your answer to question 14 on Form I-765, which asks about your manner of last entry. For question 15 on Form I-765, which asks about your current immigration status, you can put “None” or “No lawful status.”

  • The eligibility code you should use for question 16 on Form I-765 is (c)(33). You can put “N/A” for question 17 on that form.

  • If you are submitting documents that are not written in English, you must include a translation. The person who translated the document must include a signed certification, that can look like this:

Certification by Translator


I, ________________________, certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ___________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.
Name and address: ________________________________________________________                                           Signature_________________________________