Find Free NJ Legal Information

Welcome to the LSNJLAWSM website, provided by Legal Services of New Jersey (LSNJ). LSNJ is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit offering free civil legal assistance to low-income people in New Jersey. Find legal information by clicking on a legal topic or typing a few words into the search box.

LAW Home > Legal Topics > Criminal Charges and Convictions > Motor Vehicle Laws

Three Steps to Driver’s License Restoration


​Not having a driver’s license may make it impossible to take care of daily basic needs, keep a job, or keep an important appointment, such as a court hearing or a visit to the doctor. Many states allow people with suspended licenses to continue to drive for work or medical reasons. However, New Jersey does not allow anyone with a suspended license to drive for any reason. If you have had your license suspended, this article explains the three steps you must take to get it back. ​Five Most Common Types of Driver’s License Suspensions explains the five most common reasons for suspensions and how to have each type of suspension lifted.

Step One: Getting More Information

First, you must find out why your driver’s license has been suspended. The easiest way to do this is to call the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) at (609) 292-6500. An MVC staff person will review your driver history abstract. A driver history abstract is the record kept by the MVC listing all information related to your driver’s license, including reasons why your license has been suspended. When you speak to the MVC representative, listen carefully and write the information down. Be sure to find out the following information:

  • How long you must wait to restore your license;
  • If you owe surcharges to the MVC and how much;
  • If you need to complete an MVC program, such as a Defensive Driving Course or an Intoxicated Driving Resource Center (IDRC) program;
  • Which courts to contact if you need to pay outstanding fines or appear in court; and
  • If you owe child support payments.

Getting a written copy of your driver history abstract

You will not be mailed a copy of your driver history abstract just by calling the numbers listed above. To get a written copy of the abstract, you must complete an Abstract Request Form and return it along with a $15 check to the address indicated on the form. You may purchase a copy online at Driver History with an email address and a credit card. You can also purchase a copy in person for $15 at any of the four MVC regional service centers located in Eatontown, Trenton, Wayne, and West Deptford. Go to the MVC Website, for the addresses of these facilities.

Step Two: Understanding How to Lift the Suspension​

Suspensions can be ordered by the court or the MVC. You can find out who ordered your suspension by calling the MVC or by looking at your driver history abstract.

​​Court-ordered suspensions.
A court will order a driver’s license suspension for a variety of reasons, including motor vehicle, criminal, or juvenile justice code violations; failure to pay a parking ticket, a court-ordered fine, or child support; or failure to appear in court. In some cases, a suspension will last a set amount of time, such as six months. In other cases, a suspension lasts until you appear in court or pay a fine. The MVC representative will be able to identify which courts you need to contact to get more information about your type of suspension. 


Arrest warrants may be issued for failure to appear in court, unpaid parking tickets, unpaid court-ordered penalties, or unpaid child support. To avoid being arrested, you should first call each court identified by the MVC to ask if a warrant has been issued. If you appear in person, there may be serious consequences, including arrest, incarceration, or an order that you pay bail. If you find out that a warrant has been issued for your arrest, try to get an attorney to represent you. When you appear in court, a judge has a duty to inform you about the public defender or municipal public defender. However, by that time it may be too late. It is best to contact an attorney before appearing in court. Each municipal court in New Jersey has a public defender. When you call the court about a possible warrant, ask for the name and phone number of the municipal public defender. You may have to pay a fee for municipal public defender representation. There is also a state public defender’s office, but that office only represents people accused of serious (indictable) crimes. For more information about the state public defender’s office, call (609) 292-7087 or visit


Once you have resolved all outstanding court matters, the MVC will be notified either by the court or by you when you bring documentation to the MVC. Once all court and MVC suspensions have been lifted, you may restore your license.

MVC-imposed suspensions. Even after you have resolved all court-related matters, you may still not be able to restore your license. This is because the MVC may have ordered the suspension for other reasons, such as:

  • Failure to pay MVC fines (called surcharges);
  • Failure to complete a course required by the MVC;
  • Earning too many points;
  • Driving without insurance; or
  • Being a “habitual offender.” A habitual offender is someone who has had his or her license suspended three times in a three-year period.

When you speak to the MVC staff, try to find out if the MVC has suspended your license and what you must do to have the suspension lifted. The MVC staff will explain what you must do. For example, you may be able to arrange a payment plan for outstanding surcharges, giving the MVC a down payment and paying the balance over time.

As long as you have no outstanding court-ordered suspensions, you will be eligible to restore your license after you have resolved the reasons for the MVC suspensions.

Step Three: When Can I Drive My Car?

Even after resolving all court and MVC matters, your driving privileges are not automatically restored. First, you must call the MVC to find out if all your suspensions have been lifted and to make sure that you are eligible to restore your license. Then you must pay the license restoration fee of $100. If you also need to restore your registration, you must also pay another $100 registration restoration fee. If you have not driven for more than three years, you will probably need to retake the written or road test. Ask the MVC if you are required to take these tests. To get your new license, you must pay $24 and show six points worth of identification, along with proof of address, at a motor vehicle agency. You can find more information about the six-point ID verification system online at or by calling the MVC at (609) 292-6500.

You should drive only after you have a valid new driver’s license in your possession and written notice from the MVC that your driving privileges have been restored.

Where can I get more information?

More information about driver’s license suspensions and restoration is available in the following sources:

What if I need more help?

Legal Services of New Jersey (LSNJ) provides free legal assistance to low-income people. If you need help or more information, you may contact LSNJLAWSM, LSNJ’s statewide, toll-free legal hotline, at 1-888-LSNJ-LAW (1-888-576-5529) or apply for help online. If you are not eligible for assistance, the hotline will refer you to other possible resources. ​​​​ ​​​​​​​​