Find Free NJ Legal Information

Welcome to the LSNJLAWSM website, provided by Legal Services of New Jersey (LSNJ). LSNJ is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit offering free civil legal assistance to low-income people in New Jersey. Find legal information by clicking on a legal topic or typing a few words into the search box.

LAW Home > Legal Topics > Courts > New Jersey State Courts > Municipal Courts

How to Set Up an Account with the Judiciary Electronic Document Submission (JEDS) System to File Family Law Documents in Superior Court



  1. Log onto
  2. Click “Self-help center” in the upper left.
  3. Select “Submit court documents online (JEDS).”
  4. Select “First time user.”
  5. Follow instructions to create an account.
  6. Once an account is created select “submit your documents.”
  7. From the “court division” drop down, select “family.”
  8. From the “docket type” drop down, select:
    For FM docket numbers, select Divorce or post divorce motions
    For FD docket numbers, select child custody, visitation and support
    For FV docket numbers, select domestic violence/SAPSA
  9. Select the county of filing and the docket number.
  10. On the next page select the type of document you would like to file. There is an “other” option if your document type is not listed.
  11. The cost to file each document, if applicable, is listed next to selection.
  12. On the next screen, click “add documents” on the top left, this will allow you to select a document from your device and add it to the filing. Use a PDF or Word document. Make sure to remove identifying information such as social security numbers from documents.
  13. Once your document is added, click the box that acknowledges you have removed identifying information such as social security numbers from documents you want to submit.
  14. The final screen will take you to a payment page to pay any applicable filing fees by credit card. If you cannot pay the filing fee, see instructions on how to file for a fee waiver on
  15. Click “submit” to file your document. You will see a confirmation page once it is accepted for filing.**
  16. You only need to set up an account the first time. You will be able to track the documents you have filed in that account on the first page when you sign in.

* If you are filing any documents with an FM docket number, you will need to serve the other party with a copy of the documents. For FD and FV docket numbers, the court will serve the other party.
** You cannot remove any documents once they are “filed,” so draft your documents carefully.​​​​​