Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content
Help (new window)
Navigate Up
Legal Services of New Jersey  Legal Services of New Jersey

Apply Online for Legal Help

During the COVID-19 pandemic the LSNJ Hotline will remain open during its normal business hours. Our Hotline staff will be working remotely and you may encounter delays when calling.

FAQ - Are there any rental assistance programs created or expanded in response to the pandemic?

There are limited programs to help with rent in New Jersey.

  • COVID-19 Housing Assistance Program. Applications for this program are currently suspended. Check the website,​ for the current status.
  • Department of Community Affairs (DCA). DCA has a variety of assistance programs that may help you with rental and heating costs, prevention of eviction, reduction of utility bills and removal of lead hazards from your home. The screening process for these programs is available at:
  • New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency. To get free financial counseling on meeting your rental obligations, go to
  • County and Municipal Welfare Agencies. County and municipal welfare agencies have programs to help with rent and other expenses. You can find more information about these programs and where to apply at:
  • Camden County CARES Rental Assistance Grant - The program is aimed at supporting low income renters at risk of losing their homes or facing an eviction threat due to lost employment or income caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, including how to apply, go to​.
  • Somerset County Community Development Block Grant COVID-19 (CDBG-CV) Emergency Rental Relief Program. The program operates in all municipalities within Somerset County, with the exception of Franklin Township, which has its own CDBG program. For information about eligibility requirements and how to apply, go to​.
  • Newark’s Emergency Housing Assistance Fund.  Newark created a $1 million Emergency Housing Assistance Fund to provide low-income residents up to $1,000 each to help pay rent or utilities. This is a one-time assistance program unless the city can get more funds. For more information, go to
  • Perth Amboy Approves Reallocation of $200,000 in Home Funds to Eligible Residents. The Puerto Rican Association for Human Development (PRAHD) will be administering these funds. You must be a current resident of Perth Amboy. Proof of citizenship is required. You must also be able to document a COVID-19 related hardship (unemployment or letter from employer stating that you were laid off or had a reduction in hours due to COVID-19). Landlord verification of back rent due is required. For additional information or to apply for rental assistance, residents are asked to contact PRAHD at (732) 638-2870.

Other counties and municipalities are developing new rent assistance programs for renters affected by COVID-19, therefore you should check back for updates to this page.

(Return to Frequently Asked Questions for Tenants, Hotel/Motel Residents, and Other Occupants During COVID-19) ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

× Say Their Names