Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content
Help (new window)
Navigate Up

Legal Services of New Jersey  

Apply Online for Legal Help

Health Care
FAQ - What can I do if I am illegally locked out or if the property owner resorting to illegal tactics to get me out?

Read our flyer “Know Your Rights Against Illegal Evictions” at

If your landlord is demanding sexual favors in exchange for the rent, such harassment is illegal and violates the Fair Housing Act and the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination.  If this happens, file a complaint with the NJ US Attorney’s Office online or by calling 1-844-380-6178 and/or contact the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights Housing Discrimination hotline at 1-866-405-3050.

(Return to Frequently Asked Questions for Tenants, Hotel/Motel Residents, and Other Occupants During COVID-19​​​​ ​​​​​​